Lasagna with Mushroom and Lamb Sausage
This month's recipe comes from our assistant winemaker, Noah Bieszczad. This delicate, yet hearty meal paired with our 2009 Cathy's Pinot Noir is the perfect combination for a small dinner party or family gathering. This wine's elegant structure and rich layers of flavor will take this dish to the next level.
1. Heat a large, deep skillet. Add the sausage, cover, and cook over medium heat, turning once, until well browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a plate. Let cool and thinly slice.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet. Add the oyster and shiitake mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 15 minutes. Stir in the red onion and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, cover and cook, stirring until the onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour. Set the skillet over moderately high heat and gradually stir in the mushroom or chicken stock and wine until smooth. Simmer, stirring until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add the sausage and season with salt and pepper.
3. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the lasagna noodles until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the noodles; transfer to a bowl of cold water or let stand for 1 minute. Pat the noodles dry, then toss lightly with olive oil. In a large bowl, blend the Ricotta with the Pecorino cheeses and season with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a well-buttered 9-by-13-inch deep ceramic baking dish, arrange 2 to 3 lasagna noodles in a single layer. Spread half of the mushroom mixture over the noodles. Cover with more noodles and dollop half of the cheese mixture on top. Cover with another layer of noodles, pressing gently to spread the cheese in an even layer. Continue layering with the remaining mushroom mixture, noodles and cheese mixture, ending with a layer of noodles. Spread the softened butter on the top and garnish with the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
5. Cover the lasagna and bake for about 40 minutes. Uncover and preheat the broiler. Broil the lasagna about 4 inches from the heat until golden brown and crisp on top, about 2 minutes. Garnish with parsley leaves and serve.